1) If a member of AMA, call and express disagreement, mention considering ending membership. 1-800-262-3211. Hit 2 then 1 to speak with Member Relations. May be overwhelmed by calls, but try first, otherwise email@example.com
2) If NOT a member, call and explain this is why you are not a member. 1-800-262-3211. Hit 2 then 1 to speak with Member Relations.
3) Member or not: All American physicians are by default registered in AMA's Masterfile, which is sold to third parties for AMA profit and allows pharma reps to monitor your prescribing data, etc. Submit a Do Not Release restriction to your Masterfile record, found here: https://www.ama-assn.org/…/dbl…/dnr_authrztn_ltr1_0_PDRP.doc or sign up for the Physician Data Restriction Program, which allows you to opt out of having your prescribing data released to the pharmaceutical industry. The website appears to be malfunctioning so you can also call or email: https://apps.ama-assn.org/PDRP/locate.do
4) Call any of these organizations you are a member of. They are represented in the AMA. https://www.ama-assn.org/member-organizations-ama-house-delegates
5) Write an op-ed in your local paper.
6) Join and/or donate to Doctors for America and National Physician Alliance.
7) Call the AAMC is you're an academic physician. Their support is far more surprising.
8) Add your name to an open letter:
Medical students: https://medium.com/@FutureDocsUSA/national-medical-student-open-letter-concerning-the-nomination-of-rep-tom-price-for-hhs-secretary-2a27232f2be8#.i55sjj4nw
9) Encourage your physician friends to do these actions. You could even share this post :)
If you have other ideas, please comment and I'll add them.
Here's the case against him:
- Defund Children’s Health Insurance Program
- Supports Medicare privatization
- Opposes Medicare power to negotiate drugprices
- Wants to dismantle the Affordable Care Act
- Wants to defund Medicaid via block grants (estimated 18-20 million will lose coverage)
- Zero rating from Planned Parenthood
- Marriage equality a "sad day for marriage" and "judicial destruction of checks and balances"
- Against transgender rights, called it "absurd" to have a guideline to schools
- Voted NO on reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act
- Voted NO on prohibiting job discrimination based on sexual orientation
- Voted NO on a bill to fight hate crimes based on sexual orientation
- Voted YES for constitutional amendment defining marriage as "one man and one woman"
- Supported Atlanta Police Chief Cochran after he was suspended for remarks referring to homosexuality as a sexual perversion and equating it to bestiality
- Voted YES on prohibiting product misuse lawsuits on gun manufacturers.
- Ban gun registration & trigger lock law in Washington DC.
- Voted YES on opening Outer Continental Shelf to oil drilling.
- Voted YES on barring EPA from regulating greenhouse gases.
- Voted NO on enforcing limits on CO2 global warming pollution.
- Voted NO on protecting free-roaming horses and burros.
- Voted NO on providing $70 million for Section 8 Housing vouchers.